July 08, 2009

Back to the Grind

Blog-Nazi? Are you beginning to see the trend? Ha. And for the record I did not give Josh a three-day deadline to post about his Father's Day. I asked him kindly if he would write a blog, and he willingly agreed to it. One day passed, no post. A second and third day went on by, still no post. It's not that he didn't want to sit down and write, but if you know my husband at all you know he is a procrastinator! A hORRible procrastinator. So a Blog-Nazi? Well by the end of the week I probably was. The whole week passed by without a single blog post. Unacceptable! Anyway, I thought you needed my side of the story.

Today was my first day of Orientation for my new job at North Hills for newborn nursery, and I am plum worn out. For the past month I have been a stay at home mommy with Noah; taking care of him and the household is certainly a lot of work, but I totally forgot how exhausting work is at the hospital. Hopefully it won't take me long before I get back into the routine of things, but whoa, I'm tired today.

This job is such a blessing from God. I have heard and continue to hear how so many hospitals are not hiring, but God provided me a job. The director who hired me told me she had an employee who had just had a baby, and she was not able to come back because of certain reasons unknown to me. But isn't it neat how God opened up this opportunity for me? I am so excited and believe God has a specific plan for me here. Let me explain a little to you about how perfect this job is.

I will be working PRN, which means I basically set my schedule when I can work (in medical lingo, PRN means "as needed"). It was important for me to find something flexible so I could work around both Josh's work and school schedules. I only have to work two days out of a four week schedule, but can grab pretty much anything available. I plan to work about one to two days a week and be home with Noah the rest of the time, but what a relief to know I am not bound to anything more than two days a month. In addition to that, I don't have to work weekends, and the best part: NO holidays! It's a pretty big deal to be employed at the hospital and not have to work holidays. Sounds pretty good, huh?

I will be working with newborn infants, as well as infants who need antibiotics, oxygen, and other areas of care that can be managed at North Hills without having to send the baby off to another hospital with a full Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I love working with healthy newborns, but I am so excited to be able to care for the infants who need a little help getting to a complete state of wellness. I am also going to be trained to do post-partum nursing, so if they need help in that area I can also help out there. Most of you know my heart is with the babies, but I look at this as a great opportunity to grow and learn and become an even better nurse.

As much as I dread the long days of Orientation and learning the ins and outs of a new hospital, I left with a much clearer picture of what North Hills Hospital is all about. There are so many hospitals that are just a building with no heart. Today it was completely evident to me that North Hills is not one of those types of hospitals. North Hills is about serving and caring, and that is the type of hospital I want to be a part of. God knew exactly this when he provided this job for me. I am so thankful!

You know I can't leave you without a picture. Noah will probably kill me someday when he sees this, but it's just too funny not to post. Of course, as soon as I put the sunglasses on him, he pulled them right off. Do babies actually keep sunglasses on?

Photobucket

1 comment:

Angie said...

Wow! That's good! Your LUCKY for only 2 days a week to work and be with Noah most of the times! That's an awesome!! Thankful to God for your new job! I will be praying for you and your adjustment a new job! Have a blessed day! OILY