July 29, 2010

Ewww!! Yuck!!

I'm sure we've all heard that at one time or another from our little tots.

Noah isn't too picky when it comes to foods {yet}. He is pretty good about taking at least one bite of something new. But just because he takes a bite, doesn't mean he swallows it. 99% of the time, if he doesn't like something, it comes right back out.

Sound familiar?

The other night Noah wanted to try an olive. I was pretty sure he was not going to like it, but I got one for him anyway. It was so funny. Almost as soon as he put it in his mouth, he spit that sucker out. I don't blame him. Olives are nasty.

Anyway, he obviously isn't going to like every fruit and vegetable I give to him, but sometimes I feel like he is spitting everything out. Unless of course it is mac & cheese.

Well, the other day, I came across an article which talked about fun ways to get your "picky little eater" to eat healthy foods {especially fruits and vegetables}. So, I thought I would share it with you. I don't know about you, but I need all the help and advice I can get when it comes to getting my child to eat healthy foods.

Got your pen and paper ready?

-------------------

1. Let your child pick out fruits and veggies at the grocery store.

2. Ask your little one to help in the kitchen by stirring batter and adding spices.

3. Use cookie cutters to make cucumber stars and apple hearts.

4. Dunk fruits and veggie in sauces or dips.

5. Minimize distractions and maximize conversation by leaving the TV off during mealtimes.

6. Sneak in nutrition with shredded carrots and zucchini in casseroles and spaghetti sauce.

7. Top cereal with fruit slices instead of sugar.

8. Let your child help add the ingredients for fresh fruit smoothies.

9. Kids often will copy what they see. Make sure your child sees older siblings, cousins, friends, and you (yes, you) eating a variety of foods.

10. Forget the clean-plate club and encourage your child to take a bite of everything on the plate. The more often your child tries it, the more likely he or she will be to eat it willingly.

Hope some of these ideas help!


Photobucket

3 comments:

Mary said...

Those are great tips! Thank you for sharing! Hailey is sometimes good with veggies and sometimes not. She loves fruit so that has never been a problem. Anyway! Thanks again :)

The Christians said...

Ha! Ian is in the mac and cheese club too. Except for he loves black olives. So funny - I was just taking pictures of him yesterday spearing sliced olives with his fingers and shoving them in his mouth. Which of the ones on the list work for Noah as far as getting more fruits and veggies? Miss ya'll!

OurLittleBlessingS said...

thanks for the tips, libby! i've been thinking about the dips for Mia. she has been boycotting veggies again..i'll have to take note and definately try it! she's caught on to me hiding them in her foods! ha!